Friday, March 28, 2014

Pineberries for Mom's Birthday

My mom's birthday is coming up and I really wanted to buy some pineberries for their 2014 release to the United States. Pine berries were made famous in 2009 when they were released around April Fools Day and everyone thought it was a joke! White albino berries that have red seeds and taste like a pineapple?!?! But it wasn't a joke; just a hybrid of two strawberries!

Pineberries are a small alpine everbearing strawberry that can NOT pollinate itself like a normal strawberry. To pollinate, you must plant them with a bed of pollinator strawberries to share their pollen. They are hardy to a wide range of zones depending on which variety you have (there are 3) and can make it through winter if given a bed of mulch to hide under. The berries if ripened under the sun may turn a light pink instead of bright white. I plan on placing the container I planted them in our established strawberry bed to get pollinated and once the flowers all fall off showing they've been pollinated, I can bring them back inside. The first year though, you need to pick off the flowers and make the plant spend its energy growing roots and runners instead of having a weak root system and not getting the nutrient requirements to produce bigger and more berries. I am having a hard time with this! I am so impatient! I thought I might let one or two produce a single flower just so mom and me could each have a berry this year :)

North Carolina Pineberries from Hirt's garden
Only$10 for ten bare roots

No comments:

Post a Comment